Lighthouse Cottage Museum
The Lighthouse Keeper's Cottage was built in 1897 to house the lighthouse keeper and his family and was used until the late 1970's when the light became electric. Community effort saw the preservation of the cottage, which was opened as a Museum in 1988 during the Bicentennial celebrations. The cottage is listed both Nationally and on the State Heritage Register. The fuel used for the lighthouse was kerosene and later carbide rock which had water added to it to produce a gas that was then ignited. This was originally on a wooden frame tower, however, it was damaged by white ants and fire several times over the years and when fire damaged it again in 1961 it was replaced with the steel tower which stands today.